I didn’t assume it'd be a huge deal whilst we moved in. however of direction, the second you may’t have something, it right away will become the issue you definitely crave — right?! specially at some point of these warmer months, I’ve been yearning all of my favored grilled skewers and burgers and peaches like loopy. So rather than lacking out, we decided to get cunning this summer season, and up our indoor roasting-everything-in-the-oven game. (Which — hi there — appears apropos for the woman who named her blog Gimme some Oven.) And of direction, squarely inside the middle of the matters-I’ve-constantly-grilled-however-now-cook dinner-in-the-oven category is one of my faves:
I truly consume little or no meat these days, and attempt to reserve it greater for just unique occasions. but once I do cross for it, my favored protein will probable for all time and constantly be a pleasing, juicy, flawlessly-cooked steak. What can i say — i used to be raised within the Midwest and nonetheless love a very good meat and potatoes meal every so often. specially while the steak is organic and grass-fed. specifically when it’s properly pro. And — when you consider that steak is already a unique occasion food for me besides — mainly with a generous melty pat of butter on top. general treat.
That stated, after cooking steaks on the grill my entire existence, I might be the first to confess that i was very skeptical that steak can be cooked well in the oven. but because it seems, it in reality works absolutely nicely! It nails that completely seared and crispy crust at the outdoor, and nevertheless helps you to pick your desired degree of doneness on the inner. It’s best takes approximately 10 minutes to make, and it’s smooth to customize with your favorite seasonings or steak marinades. And hey — in the course of the ones bloodless wintry weather months — it’s a comfy manner to prepare dinner steak from the consolation of your kitchen, as an alternative of getting to package up and cross outside. A win-win-win in my ebook.
So permit’s do it! let’s communicate all approximately a way to prepare dinner steak inside the oven.
HOW TO COOK STEAK IN THE OVEN
My favorite method for how to cook steak in the oven. Oven-broiled steak is surprisingly easy to prepare and cook to your desired degree of doneness, and just as delicious as ever!
TOTAL TIME: 10 MINS PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 5 MINS
- 2 good-quality steaks, room temperature, ideally about 1 to 1.5-inches thick (such as filet mignon, rib eye, T-bone, strip steak, sirloin, flank steak, or your preferred cut of steak)
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil (such as avocado oil, canola oil, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat broiler on your oven. Let the steaks rest on a plate until they have fully reached room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, pepper, and garlic powder until combined. Set aside.
- Blot the steaks dry with paper towels. Then brush evenly on both sides with oil, and sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly on both sides of the steaks.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet (or oven-safe sauté pan) on the stove over high heat for 6-8 minutes. Once the pan is super-hot, add the steaks and use a spatula to press them evenly into the pan, so that the entire bottom surface of the steaks makes contact with the pan. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Carefully use tongs to flip the steaks. Then use an oven mitt to carefully transfer the skillet to the oven. Broil for 3 minutes. Then flip the steaks once more, and continue baking for 2-3 minutes more, or until the internal temperature of steak reaches 5 degrees below your desired level of doneness (see chart below). The steak will continue cooking a bit after you remove it from the oven.
- Once the steaks are ready to go, immediately remove the pan from the oven, and transfer the steaks to a clean plate. Brush any of the pan juices onto the steak. Then loosely tent the plate with aluminum foil and and let the steak rest for at least 3 minutes.
- Serve warm. Or, refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown.
- Doneness internal temperatures for steak are as follows (measured in the thickest part of the steak):
- Rare: 125°F or 52°C (Remove from the oven at 120°F or 49°C.)
- Medium-rare: 135°F or 57°C (Remove from the oven at 130°F or 54°C.)
- Medium: 145°F or 63°C (Remove from the oven at 140°F or 60°C.)
- Medium-well: 150°F or 66°C (Remove from the oven at 145°F or 63°C.)
- Well done: 160°F or 71°C (Remove from the oven at 155°F or 68°C.)
- The FDA recommends that steak be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°C or 63°C.