Philly Cheesesteak Crescent Braid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper seeded and sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced
- 1 8 ounce package refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1/2 pound good quality deli roast beef about 8 slices
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices provolone
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Pinch of dried oregano optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onions and cook until slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll out crescent rolls and pressing down with fingers seal perforated edges.
- Roll out dough making about an 8x12 inch rectangle. If dough is a little sticky dust with flour.
- Place dough on baking sheet.
- Cut 1 inch slits 1 inch apart on both long sides of dough.
- Place slices of roast beef flat in the center of dough between slits.
- Top with cooked peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle garlic powder on top.
- Top with slices provolone cheese.
- Cross strips over filing and gently press edges together to seal.
- In a small bowl mix egg and water and brush mixture on top of dough.
- Lightly sprinkle with a little garlic powder and oregano.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until dough is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly before cutting into slices.