VEGAN ONE POT PASTA WITH CREAMY TOMATO SAUCE
This delicious spring pasta dinner is a healthy meal and a real time saver! The veggies, gluten free pasta, and creamy vegan tomato cream sauce simmer in one pot, and turn into healthy dinner magic.
- 1 box Chickapea Pasta (8 ounces gluten free pasta)*
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper I used half orange, half yellow
- 2 cups green beans ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes chopped roughly
- herbs (fresh thyme, basil, Italian parsley or green onions) to garnish
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1/3 cup cashews soaked 2 hours and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups water do not add to the sauce
- Soak cashews in cold water for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. If you don't have time for this step, soak cashews in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Add soaked and drained cashews and diced tomatoes to a blender with all the seasonings for the sauce. Blend until very smooth, about 1-2 minutes in a high speed blender, or a bit longer in a standard blender. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add olive oil, and onions and garlic. Saute on medium high heat until the onions and garlic have begun to brown.
- Add the sliced peppers and green beans, and saute until done to your liking. Remove all veggies from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pot (really, there's no need to even wash it!), bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and then add Chickapea Pasta and the creamy tomato sauce. Allow to simmer on a low boil for 5-7 minutes, until the pasta is still al dente, but the sauce has begun to thicken. The sauce will seem like a lot, but will also cover the veggies.
- Add the veggies and sun dried tomatoes in, and toss to coat. Garnish with fresh thyme, parsley, or basil.
- This pasta is just as delicious the next day. The leftovers keep very well.