Apple Zucchini Muffins
You get your fruits and veggies in these delicious little muffins! Kids and adults love these healthy muffins!
For the Muffins:
- 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon oil melted coconut oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated apple I use Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini moisture slightly squeezed out
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple I use Granny Smith
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and all-spice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. Gently stir in the grated apple, zucchini, and chopped apples.
- To make the topping, combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Fill the prepared muffin pan with muffin batter, filling each cup about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon sugar topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.
- Note-these muffins freeze well.