ALMOND BISCOTTI RECIPE
This healthy almond biscotti recipe is the best! It's gluten free and vegan and it's made with almond flour and with amaretto. If you need an easy cookie recipe for Christmas, this is it!
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or grass fed butter cold
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon dairy free milk
- Chocolate topping:1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Chopped almonds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Whisk the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in the butter or coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract together. Pour into the flour/butter mixture and gently mix together.The dough will be wet.Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet and shape into a rectangle four inches high and 9 inches long. About 1/2 inch thick. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top and sides with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the top and sides of the biscotti slabs are lightly browned. Remove from the oven, but do not turn off the heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Once the slab is cool enough to handle, cut into 1 inch thick slices. Set slices cut sides upright, ¼ inch apart on the baking sheets. Return to the oven to continue baking for 10 minutes. Turn biscotti over and bake other side for 10 minutes or until biscotti starts to get browned around the edges. The cookies will be slightly soft in the centers with harder edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before dipping in chocolate.
- The biscotti becomes crunchy as it cools. Save the baking sheets for the next step.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave. Melt in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Dip each biscotti cookie in the melted chocolate and place back onto the baking sheets. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. Allow chocolate to set in the refrigerator or at room temperature.