Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is warm, comforting, hearty, filling and deeply satisfying and BONUS, it's SO easy; just chop, dump and simmer while the crockpot does all the work. This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with tender juicy shredded chicken, hearty cannellini beans, sweet corn, fire roasted tomatoes, kickin’ poblanos, and aromatic onions and garlic, seasoned to perfection in a tangy salsa verde broth. The layers of flavor all get topped with freshly squeezed lime juice, avocados, cilantro, sour cream and crispy, salty homemade BAKED Tortilla Strips for a new family favorite everyone will beg you to make again and again! This easy Tortilla Soup is ideal for weeknight dinners and always a crowd pleaser.
Salsa Verde Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breasts
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups Homemade Salsa Verde or storebought
- 2 14.5 oz. cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can can sweet corn drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes,
- 1 zucchini peeled, sliced thick and quartered
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 - 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 6 6” corn tortillas
- pepper Jack, Monterrey, sharp cheddar
- sour cream
- lime juice
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Lightly spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker followed by all of the Tortilla Soup Ingredients.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. When chicken is tender, shred and return to slow cooker for at least 20 minutes on low.
- When ready to serve, taste soup and add additional salt, pepper, honey, lime, chipotle powder/hot sauce to taste. Top individual bowls with tortilla strips and any desired toppings.
- While the soup is cooking, make the tortilla strips. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. (I stack them all together and use my pizza cutter.)
- Light spray a large baking sheet/jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Add tortilla strips and toss with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Arrange strips in a single layer and lightly season with freshly cracked salt.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-16 minutes or until light golden brown.