Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Few things are more comforting than a big pot of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Made with homemade chicken broth and filled with healthy vegetables, shredded chicken, and loads of noodles, it's easy to enjoy this Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe winter long!
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions - peeled and chopped
- 5 large carrots - peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles - or other favorite noodles or pasta
- fresh chopped parsley - to garnish
- Prepare the broth. Add the chicken thighs and chicken breasts to a large stockpot. Add approximately 3 quarts of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Cook the vegetables. As the broth simmers, chop and cook the vegetables. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Add the carrots and celery to the onions and mix well to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. In the last two minutes stir in the minced garlic, mixing well to combine.
- Strain the broth. After the broth has finished simmering and the chicken has finished cooking, remove from heat. Carefully remove the chicken from the pot to a clean cutting board and strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer into the same pot as the vegetables. Shred the chicken.
- Simmer the soup. Add the shredded chicken, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and bay leaves to the pot and return soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Cook the noodles. As the soup simmers bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
- Serve. Add approximately 1 cup of prepared egg noodles to each bowl and ladle soup directly on top of the noodles. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.