Homestyle Macaroni Salad
This quick and easy homestyle macaroni salad is the perfect side dish for your Spring picnics and Summer barbecues!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (or approx 1/2 of a 16 oz box)
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 cup ofinely chopped celery (4 stalks/ribs)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 2-3 TBSP chopped green onion to garnish
- 1/8 tsp paprika
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat or lowfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought mayo
- 2 TBSP white vinegar
- 1 TBSP dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP yellow mustard
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of dried parsley
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder (plus extra to taste)
- any additional salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles per package directions and drain in a colander.
- To make the dressing, whisk together above ingredients. Pour half the dressing over the salad and chill to allow flavors to meld. When you're ready to serve, pour the remainder of the dressing over the salad and dig in!
- Stir in your chopped veggies and pour over approx half the dressing, mixing well.
- Steal a taste and feel free to adjust seasoning as needed.
- Extra garlic is common in this house as is lots of extra bell pepper and green onion - add whatever extra veggies/spices you'd like!
- Pop the entire bowl in the fridge, covered (along with a separate container of the remaining dressing) and allow to cool.
- Add the remainder of the sauce just before serving for maximum creaminess (otherwise those hungry noodles will absorb it all!)
- Dig in that very same day or up to four days later. This is a great potluck/party side dish that can be made in advance or whipped up and served fresh as a last minute addition! With pasta salads, anything goes!