ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND RED LENTIL SOUP
Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup is made with fresh, healthy ingredients and is garnished with Greek yogurt, pepitas and parsley.
- 5 tablespoons extra olive oil divided
- 1 small butternut squash about 2 pounds, peeled, seeded and chopped into small cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- chopped parsley
- Greek yogurt
- To roast the butternut squash, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the squash and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange squash on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 25 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrots and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 12 to 14 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Stir in cumin, chile flakes, paprika, and roasted squash. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, slightly covered, for 20 minutes or until lentils are very tender. Cool slightly then, working in batches, use an immersion blender to purée soup until smooth. Garnish with parsley, pepitas and yogurt, as desired. Serve immediately.