Sesame Crispy Tofu
This sesame crispy tofu is one of my favorite tofu recipes! It comes from The Skinnytaste Air Fryer
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 4 (1/2-inch thick) slices
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup white and black sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- olive oil spray
- Sriracha mayo
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- Cilantro Lime Rice or Cauliflower Rice
- 1 cup snap peas, steamed and chopped
- ⅓ cup frozen edamame, steamed
- 1 scallion, chopped
- tamari, for drizzling
- Place the tofu slices on a kitchen towel or paper towels. Place another towel on top and lightly press to remove most of the water from the tofu. Transfer to a shallow dish big enough for the tofu to lie in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Drizzle half of the marinade over the tofu, then gently flip and drizzle the rest on the other side. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat an air fryer to 400°F or preheat a regular oven to 350°F.
- Place the sesame seeds on a small plate. In a small bowl, beat the egg. Remove each tofu slice from the marinade, allowing the excess to drip off, then dip in the egg. Using a fork, dip in the sesame seeds, coating each side. Transfer to a plate. Spray one side with olive oil, then gently flip and spray the other side. (Discard the excess marinade.)
- To make the tofu in an air fryer: Working in batches, arrange a single layer of the tofu in the air fryer basket. Cook for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway, until toasted and crisp.
- To bake the tofu in the oven: Place the tofu on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Make the sriracha mayo. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo and sriracha.
- Serve the tofu steaks with rice, snap peas, edamame, scallions, sriracha mayo, and tamari, for drizzling.