Bulgogi - Authentic Korean Beef BBQ
Bulgogi – Korean Beef BBQ (불고기) is probably one of the best known Korean Beef BBQ dish and this authentic marinade recipe has been used in my family for over 25 years.
- 1 lb Thinly sliced sirloin (top sirloin or any tender loin area)
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs light brown sugar [white sugar ok]
- 1 Tbs honey [ 2 t sugar is also ok ]
- 2 Tbs rice cooking wine or red wine [mirin works too]
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs chopped green onion
- 2 Tbs pear, puree [ or 1 Tbs kiwi or 3 Tbs onion puree]
- Make sauce by mixing all of the marinade ingredients together except for any optional vegetables such as onions or mushrooms.
- Mix in the bulgogi beef into the sauce prepared above – in a bowl big enough to hold the beef. Make sure the sauce is well mixed with the beef. You will need to use your hands here and just massage everything together.
- Heat up your favorite frying pan on high heat and just pan fry/stir fry the meat until it’s slightly brown on both sides.
- 2 Tbs pear puree can be substituted with 1 Tbs kiwi.
- Pan should be hot enough so that the meat sizzles as it touches the pan. Also, if you put too much meat into the pan and/or the heat is too low, you will end up with a lot of the meat juice leaking out of the bulgogi and you end up with Bulgogi stew.
- The most authentic and traditional way to cook Bulgogi ( Korean Beef BBQ ) is on top of a charcoal grill- you will either need a fine steel mesh or tin foil to cook the meat because otherwise it will fall through. Bulgogi is supposed to be well cooked and tastes great if it’s a little burnt…
- You can also broil it on the top rack of your oven (Broil temp) but remember to keep a very close watch so it does not burn!
- Optional veggie ingredients - traditionally, Koreans just make bulgogi with beef by itself but if you are cooking it in a frying pan, you can add some sliced onions, mushrooms (shitake, white, oyster), bell peppers and even sliced carrots and cook them together.